Monday, May 24, 2010

Property Daydreams



Summer rolls around and all kinds of out-of-character ideas pop up. I often dream of a little vacation house like this little cabin-in-a-kit. Get-a-way houses are generally in the mountains, near a lake or by the sea shore! This year I'm dreaming of ways to make my own property feel like a vacation spot and it's kind of funny. After all when you are really on vacation you don't have to clean or change the bedding or cook or load and unload the dishwasher. Yikes! I'm not sure how I'm going to pull this off. One idea might be to develop amnesia about household chores. I like that one. Another might be to turn a blind eye to the piles of doggy hair that the dogs are shedding at lightning speed now that the days are turning warmer.

If I had a little cabin like this one down the canyon in our yard I could hide from everyone and maybe then I would feel like I am on holiday. Hmmmmm. We really do have room on our property and I'm thinking that this could be a good idea. I'll need electricity, but we have that already running down there. I want air conditioning, because I'm spoiled by that in the main house. A fountain outside the door could drown out the hum of the traffic below running through Rose Canyon. Nothing will silence the sirens or the groups of motorcycles periodically rumbling down the road, but I can live with that inconvenience.

This idea has legs. We've always wanted to put the land to better use, but as it happens the wind blasts through the canyon and up across our yard. That's why the idea of a pool never quit took hold. I once thought that our neighbors and we could build a huge common pool, but it is just too cold on top of the bluff for a swim most of the time. Besides we live right above an honest-to-God earthquake fault (the Rose Canyon Fault) and I always imagined the pool cracking and the water seeping down onto the broad boulevard below. So the idea of a little hideout is better. Got to get serious about this plan.

In the mean time we are running away for a couple of days this week. We are going to pretend and go to Las Vegas where we can visit Venice, New York and Paris in just 3 days! Quite a bizarre concept, but definitely an affordable break. Then I'll come back and straighten up my office and maybe get moving on my disastrous garage! That will require a pitcher of chilled margaritas I think and several long afternoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment